COMPUTER SUBJECT: BASIC NETWORK CONCEPTS
TYPE: GROUP WORK EXERCISE/DISCUSSION
COPYRIGHT: Michael Claudius
DURATION: 1-3 hours
SIZE: 100 lines!!
OBJECTIVE: Introduction to network basic
REQUIREMENTS: Computer Security
The following assignments must be solved in groups (4-5 persons) and followed up by a short presentation in the class later.
Find 10 security threats/attacks and for each state:
· likelihood (high, medium, low), how likely is this attack
· impact (high, medium, low), how severe is the damage of a successful attack
Pick out 1-2 interesting periods of activity and describe the following:
- The date (period)
- A major botnet’s activity and list:
Source and Destination
How long the attack has been occurring
How has the attack been pulled off?
At home watch the video by Stephen Vries at
Find at least two major companies/organizations/NGO’s that have been attacked lately.
Explain what happened and how the company handled the situation.
Look at the following keywords and state a short answer:
1. What is confidentiality?
2. What is integrity?
3. What is authentication?
4. What is authorization?
5. What is availability?
6. What is a Denial of Service (DoS) attack?
7. What is DDos?
8. What is a virus?
9. What is a Trojan horse?
10. What is a worm?
11. What is a botnet?
12. What is a zero day?
13. What is an n-day?
14. Is a bug the same as vulnerability?
15. What is a weakness?
16. Name 4 ways an attacker can act anonymously online
Look at your list from assignment 0.
Then choose 1-2 of these attacks and detail the description, i.e. state the:
· exploitability, how easy is it to do (and possibility of doing it)
· prevalence(likelihood), how often does it occur (how common is it)
· detectability, how easy is it to detect the vulnerability
· impact, how severe is the damage of a successful attack
all using the scale: high, medium, low
Tip: Take a good look at www.owasp.org …..find top ten security risks